A diary of happenings

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Margot Fonteyn

As I was early for Woman in Black, I crossed over to the Royal Opera House to have a look. During my first trip to London, the Opera House was holding its final performance before closing the following day for a major 4-year renovation. An open-air screen was set up at the Covent Garden and we sat squashed in the crowd, watching the performance that was taking place indoor. I did a google and realised, gosh, that was in 1996. It was 10 and not 5 years ago that I visited, how time flies when you're having fun :)

At the foyer of the Opera House, I found a small exhibition celebrating the Royal Ballet's 75th anniversary.

I'm not a fan of ballet, but my buddy Daphne is, and look, Daph, this is the costume that Margot Fonteyn wore when she danced for the first time as Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty at 19, in 1939, more than 60 years ago, and it's still gorgeous.


Labels: , ,